Iran unmoved by threats, foreign minister says

Iran’s Foreign Minister Javad Zarif

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has stated that Iran has remained “unmoved” by the threats made against his country, referring to recent tweets by new US President Donald Trump on Iran.

“Iran unmoved by threats as we derive security from our people,” Zarif said on his official twitter account on Friday.

“We’ll never initiate war, but we can only rely on our own means of defence,” the top diplomat noted.

In a later tweet on Friday, Zarif said, “We will never use our weapons against anyone, except in self-defense. Let us see if any of those who complain can make the same statement.”

The statements by Zarif came in response to Trump’s tweet on Friday which read, “Iran is playing with fire – they don’t appreciate how “kind” President Obama was to them. Not me!”

Earlier on Sunday, Michael Flynn, President Trump’s national security adviser said Wednesday that the US is “officially putting Iran on notice” following what he called a “provocative” ballistic missile test.

On Thursday Trump had said on his twitter account that “Iran has been formally put on notice for firing a ballistic missile. Should have been thankful for the terrible deal the US made with them!”

Donald Trump also said ‘nothing is off the table’ when asked about military intervention in Iran.

In response to another tweet by US President Donald Trump on Wednesday, in which he claimed Iran was “rapidly taking over more and more of Iraq,” the spokesperson for Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi’s office, Sa’ad al-Hadithi, had said in a statement, “Iraq is an independent country, and not influenced by any other state”.