Six killed in mosque shooting in Quebec, Canada

Victims of the Quebec Islamic Centre shooting are taken away by medical staff, Monday 30 January

Six people were killed after gunmen opened fire on around 40 people in a Muslim centre in Quebec, Canada.

Up to three gunmen opened fire on people in the Quebec City Islamic Cultural Center on Sunday, killing six, the mosque’s president told reporters.

Police said two suspects had been arrested but did not reveal any other information.

In a statement, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, said the incident was a “terrorist attack on Muslims”.

“We condemn this terrorist attack on Muslims in a centre of worship and refuge.” Trudeau said.

The shooting came on the same weekend as the suspension of the US refugee program by President Donald Trump, who temporarily barred people from seven Muslim-majority countries entering the US on security grounds.

According to Reuters incidents of Islamophobia have increased in Quebec in recent years.