US military ‘troubled by Turkey airstrikes on SDF and Kurdish forces’

US military officials visit the site of Turkey's airstrikes alongside leading YPG figures, 25 April 2017, Derik, northeastern Syria.

The US Central Command on Wednesday said it was troubled by Tuesday’s airstrikes targeting Kurdish forces in northeastern Syria.

In a series of retweets from Operation Inherent Resolve Spokesman Col. John Dorrian from its official Twitter account, the US Central Command, which is backing the Kurdish YPG-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) against the Islamic State group said partner forces had been killed in Syria and Iraq.

In response to a journalist during a press conference on Wednesday, John Dorrian, said Turkey had given “less than an hour’s notice,” to the Combined Air Operations Center in Qatar, where operations against the IS group are commanded.

Dorrian added that Ankara had “notified and not co-ordinated” with US forces on the strikes and targeted partner forces who had made “great sacrifices” against IS.

The US State Department on Tuesday had said they were “very concerned, deeply concerned” that Turkey had conducted the airstrikes, which killed at least 20 Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG) and Women’s Protection Units (YPJ) members in Syria and five Peshmerga fighters of the Kurdistan Region in Iraq.

In a statement on Wednesday Turkey’s Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu contradicted American officials’ statements saying Turkey had informed the US and Russia two hours before airstrikes.

Russia and Iran have also voiced concern on the airstrikes saying it complicated an already difficult situation in the region.

Meanwhile YPG officials have called for a no-fly zone over the autonomous ‘Rojava’ region in northern Syria, to prevent further airstrikes.

Kurdish social media activists have launched a campaign with the hashtag #NoFlyZone4Rojava on Twitter to support the call.