US: ‘All options on table’ against Syria chemical attack

US Vice President Mike Pence

US President Donald Trump’s administration is prepared to consider all options for responding to Syria after an alleged chemical attack in Idlib province, Vice President Mike Pence said in an interview.

“We [US] are hopeful that there will be action in the United Nations,” Pence told Fox News on Wednesday. “But let me be clear, all options are on the table.”

Earlier in the day, US Ambassador to UN Nikki Haley said the United States may take its own action on this issue if the United Nations fails in its duty “to act collectively.”

Pence supported the ambassador’s position and underscored that Russia must comply with a 2013 agreement to eliminate Syria’s chemical weapons.

In 2013, Syria joined the Convention on the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons after an unprecedented chemical weapon attack in Syrian East Ghouta. The move was the result of an agreement between Russia and the United States on the destruction of chemical weapons in the country under the control of the Organisation of the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) and stopped the US military intervention in Syria. In January 2016, the OPCW announced that all chemical weapons in Syria had been destroyed.